AAF Design Guide
2020 AAF Guide to Aluminum Construction in High Wind Areas
This book is approved by the Florida Building Commission and is the referenced design guide in the 2020 (7th Edition) of the Florida Building Code which goes into effect January 1, 2021 at midnight. (This should not be used for testing purposes. Please visit this page for student guide information.)
What is the AAF Guide?
The 2020 Florida Building Code, both Building and Residential volumes, have provisions stating that the AAF Guide:
“SHALL BE ACCEPTED AS CONFORMING TO ACCEPTED ENGINEERING PRACTICES.“
This design guide is a prescriptive design method which, by Florida Statute 489.113(9), does not require the involvement of a professional engineer in order to design one of the structures covered by the guide.
With the exception of the wood framed utility shed, these are aluminum framed structures and these sections include:
- Screened swimming pool enclosures (including mansard beams);
- Patio screen rooms (screen walls, solid roofs);
- Screened walls in lanais (covered but unenclosed patios), and screened balconies;
- Glass rooms (also known as Florida rooms or sunrooms);
- Attached patio covers or carports;
- Free-standing patio covers or carports;
- Railing systems; AND,
- Secondary covers (sometimes known as roof-overs) for mobile homes;
- Wood framed utility sheds (with aluminum roofs).
For a one-time investment, you can have a design reference alternative with no additional per job fees or design costs.
- $800 plus Florida Sales Tax (6.5%) for secured, watermarked electronic version (includes one year of membership in the AAF)
- Discount of $400 for AAF Members and Building Department Personnel
• The full 2020 AAF Guide (as approved by the Florida Building Commission and has been be adopted by reference into the 2020 Florida Building Code).
This is a secured, watermarked electronic version (PDF). Pages in the digital file can be printed as needed for permit applications but can not be extracted. No hard copy is available.
A personalized link to download your guide will be emailed to you within 24-hours of purchase. You will have four weeks from the date of that email to download your file. If you do not receive the link, please check your spam folder. If you still do not see it, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply with your personalized download link.
Purchase the Guide
AAF Members – click here
Non Members – click here
Building Departments – click here